In 1950, eight naturopathic doctors came together to establish the Ontario Naturopathic Association (ONA). This non-profit corporation’s aim was to promote the science, art and philosophy of natural healing to the general public, as well as to unite the naturopaths of Ontario and encourage the standardization of educational requirements for practitioners. By coming together, Ontario’s naturopathic doctors hoped to better tell the story and spread the word about the many benefits and various branches of natural healing.
By 1997, the mandate of the association had shifted toward being the voice and resource of the profession in Ontario, and its name was changed to the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors (OAND). From its original eight founding members, OAND has grown substantially, representing the province’s licensed naturopathic doctors as well as student members enrolled in an accredited school of naturopathic medicine. Membership continues to grow annually, making it easier for Ontarians to find the right ND.